The job market in this field is following the growing trend of maritime activity in general, making hydrography a career of the future and much sought-after for numerous applications.
Graduates of this MSc Hydrography degree possess the skills required to oversee hydrographic projects and process survey data, and to develop new approaches to measurement and bathymetric and oceanographic data processing.
• Data processing
• Geodesy and positioning techniques
• Managing geographic data
• Descriptive Physical Oceanography
The program combines courses on theory with numerous practical projects which allow students to put their skills to work.
- ENSTA Bretagne has a 6.9m hydrographic survey vessel that allows students to work in real-world conditions. 6 people (4 students and 2 staff members) can work on board at a time.
- The school's 8-wheel amphibious vehicle can be used for work in shallower water.
- The survey vessel and amphibious vehicle are equipped with cutting-edge technology including multi-beam and single-beam echo sounders, GPS,central inertia and temperature and turbidity sensors.
A part of this program is or can be taught in English. All students may take their exams in English.
ENSTA Bretagne trains the largest number of hydrographers in the world, with 20 to 30 graduates per year.
ENSTA Bretagne is a member of the Association Francophone d'Hydrographie, whose headquarters are located on campus.
Throughout the training period, experts from top organizations (Ifremer, SHOM, IGN, LPO, etc.) and leading industries (IxBlue, DEME, Boskalis) in this field, share their knowledge and experience with the students.
They contribute by :
- Giving talks and testimonies sharing their experiences with the students
- Participating in lessons and tutorials
- Proposing practical projects which serve as a framework for the Course Unit “the Guerlédan Project”,
- Proposing final year internships
Numerous career opportunities
Hydrography is a field currently experiencing a need for more graduates. The main sectors seeking hydrographic specialists are the port, coastal and offshore construction industries, marine energy production, state hydrographic services (maritime traffic security), environmental research, oceanographic study offices and all activities linked to technology development for bathymetric and oceanographic data processing and electronic marine mapping.
This MSc program also offers a gateway to PhD studies.